Monday, February 21, 2011

Better Late

Ok, it's confession time.  Here it comes:

I sometimes procrastinate.

There are actually some benefits to procrastination, both for the procrastinator and for anyone waiting for results.  Let me explain.

Typically, we put off unpleasant tasks.  Kids don't say "I think I'll wait on having that ice cream."  Men don't say "Oh, let's have sex later."  Women don't ... well, women don't procrastinate anyway.  But if they did, they would not be putting off bubble baths and neck rubs.

Now we naturally excel at things we enjoy doing.  It only stands to reason.  The more you love doing something, the more you're going to do it, and the better you'll get.  Practice makes perfect.

So by putting off the unpleasant tasks, we're actually allowing more time for the skill-building process to work.  This is why last minute rush jobs are always so awesome.  You've delayed the work until the required skills have peaked.

In addition, you have the adrenaline rush of imminent danger to keep you focussed on the task at hand.  Adrenaline, or epinephrine, to use the politically-correct name, basically kicks you into high gear, making you alert and energetic.  That's a big asset in getting something done, and you can't get that by starting things early.

And besides ... Ah, who am I kidding?  I've got nothing.  Once again, I've delayed too long in writing this.  Ideas just aren't flowing.

But at least I'm alert.

No comments: