Friday, October 29, 2010

Miscellanea

In the spirit of this campaign season, I'm going to talk about a bunch of random things that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I keep getting notices that someone or other is now following me on Twitter.  Really?  Why?  Someone I've never met nor heard of wants to see the random bursts of nonsense that I infrequently tweet?  I have enough trouble following the people I actually know or organizations I actually care about.  Twitter is like buying 800 TVs and having every channel playing at the same time.  Sure, you don't miss anything, but you miss everything.

Why do all the airline ads focus on service, and how caring for their passengers is the top priority?  Everyone knows this is complete crap.  They're really just throwing tubes of human cargo through the air like flying Pringles cans.  Enjoy your flight?  Ha!  Like I'm really going to enjoy six hours wedged between two sumo wrestlers, drinking flat soda and eating stale pretzels while watching the umpteenth rerun of "The Back-up Plan."  I don't think so.

And speaking of campaigns, the theme of this season seems to be "Rational politics don't work.  Let's try stupidity."  Really.  We had eight years of plutocracy under the Bush folks, followed by two years of chaocracy brought to you by the Democrats.  Now, in reaction, the country seems to be getting solidly behind dumbassocracy.

In Massachusetts, there's a ballot question about rolling back sales tax not to the previous 5%, but to 3%.  The 3% is obviously a number someone pulled out of his rear end.  (I take the liberty of using the masculine form, since only a man could be that stupid.)  The argument put forth for this rollback is that government is spending too much.  Get it?  We cut taxes as a way to reduce government spending.  That's like deciding that you're spending too much money on DVDs, and asking your employer for a pay cut to solve the problem.

No comments: